Expect a volatile Dow Jones Industrial Average today as some high profile companies reported mixed earnings and Wall Street makes sense of the Apple settlement.
The Dow is already in the red despite a hot start from Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS) this morning. Plus: Apple’s settlement was a big winner for one stock (and it wasn’t Apple).
Here are the numbers from Tuesday for the Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq:
|Index||Previous Close||Point Change||Percentage Change|
Now, here’s a closer look at today’s Money Morning insight, the most important market events and stocks to watch.
The Top Stock Market Stories for Wednesday
- Earnings season is off to a bit of a rocky start. Investors are concerned about global economic growth and whether the red-hot markets of 2016-2018 are ready to slow to a crawl. Expectations are not high for the first quarter, as banking and retail stocks can’t seem to breakout. But there’s another sector where problems are mounting even worse. And we have a simple profit play to get you started ahead of next week’s schedule.
- Today, Morgan Stanley headlines a busy day of earnings reports. Shares of MS stock added 2% in premarket hours and boosted the DJIA, thanks to a strong first quarter for the investment bank. Executives said the bank earned $2.4 billion in profit last quarter, or $1.39 per share. That figure beat expectations. Total revenue came in higher than expected at $10.3 billion. The bank cited stronger fixed-income trading and wealth management revenue for the gain.
- The deal might be off again between Sprint Corporation (NYSE: S) and T-Mobile (NYSE: TMUS). Shares of Sprint plunged more than 10% thanks to news that the Department of Justice is pushing back on the proposed merger due to antitrust concerns. The DOJ is unlikely to approve the deal as it is currently structured, according to various media outlets. TMUS shares were off 5% on the news.
Stocks to Watch Today: NFLX, QCOM, AAPL, VZ
- Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) stock was falling since the company reported earnings after the bell Tuesday. The streaming giant issued weak forward guidance and raised concerns about its continued subscriber growth. Shares fell as much as 8% even though the firm topped Wall Street earnings and revenue expectations. However, the firm said it expects earnings in the second quarter to come in at $0.55, well below the consensus expectation among Wall Street analysts (at $0.99).
- Shares of QUALCOMM (NASDAQ: QCOM) rallied more than 23% in Tuesday’s trading session and popped another 10% this morning on news it had struck a royalty deal with Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL). QCOM stock received multiple upgrades from Wall Street banks after Apple agreed to pay the company an undisclosed amount to settle a long-time legal dispute over royalties and patents. The deal suggests that QCOM will sell semiconductor chips to Apple moving forward.
Brace Yourself: The 5G Revolution Is Unleashing Your Next Potential TRILLION-DOLLAR Opportunity – Go Here Now
- The revolution is here. On April 3, Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) introduced the nation’s first 5G networkservices in Chicago and Minneapolis, kicking off one of the most explosive tech investing opportunities we’ve seen. And VZ stock is just getting started.
- Today, look for more earnings reports from WD-40 (NASDAQ: WDFC), Bed Bath & Beyond (NASDAQ: BBBY), and MSC Industrial (NYSE: MSM).
5G Could Mint a New Wave of MILLIONAIRES!
It’s the greatest tech shift in generations, and it can create untold wealth for investors.
If you ignored weed, or crypto – DO NOT miss out again. This could be your LAST shot at early retirement.
This post is from Money Morning. We encourage our readers to continue reading the full article from the original source here.